Thursday, November 24, 2016

In/Divisible

After the election, I haven't been able to write much. 
But poetry found me again yesterday morning.

This poem is those who feel like the other right now,

especially for those at Standing Rock.

I wish you a hopeful Thanksgiving. xo 






In/Divisible

In the time of
Then,
We used to share
The
Whole
Truth
So help us God, except

Now we have pie
In
the face for our
Un
I
Ted
States of Misunderstood.

With a jolt of
Shock
A Yes vote for
In
Jus
Tice.
They burned the witch.

In the time of
Now,
Closed groups gather.
Lib
Er
Ty
Unwise, Unsound, Undone.

Theresa Milstein


12 comments:

  1. Hi Theresa - brilliant poem ... such a challenging time ahead ... I hope you continue these poems bringing in other countries ...

    So so good ... have a peaceful Thanksgiving ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hilary. I think we do have challenging times ahead. I hope we can work together as a nation and as a world.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Awesome, thought provoking and insightful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very powerful poem. I love the style and format as well as the way it makes me think. I can understand not being able to write after the election and I am glad poetry found you. It is one of the things that helps me during tough times.
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jess. It's been a good bridge to get me back to fiction. Usually poetry is my go-to when I'm stuck. When I was even stuck on poetry, I wasn't sure what to do. I'm glad poetry helps you.

      Delete
  4. I too love the style and format of the poem.
    I hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lynda. I did have a great Thanksgiving. Thank you.

      Delete
  5. Great poem, and I especially love the line about the United States of Misunderstood, which is totally accurate, especially right now. I was truly shocked when Trump won the election. After all, Hillary Clinton has worked in politics for decades; she was Secretary of State AND Senator. Trump hosted a reality show and squabbled (and is still squabbling) with celebrities on Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Neurotic Workaholic. These are baffling, bizarro-world times.

      Delete