Saturday, January 30, 2010

Dashes and Diversity in Designations

“The name of a man is a numbing blow from which he never recovers.”

- Marshall McLuhan

True story: A friend told me about someone who had seen a girl’s name written down as La-a. “Is it La?” he asked, stretching out the ah, like it was two syllables. The girl’s mother replied, “That dash isn’t silent. It’s Ladasha.”

Years ago, names were Americanized. At Ellis Island, my cousins’ family became Ampela from a much longer last name. Grace Lin’s book, Year of the Dog mentions the Americanizing of names. She was Grace out in the world, but had a Chinese name at home. During college, I worked at a music store, and one of the students had been given the American name Herman. When he was ten, his Chinese parents came in and asked me to alter his paperwork to reflect the new name he’d just had legally changed, Michael. Poor parents had given him the wrong American name. People used to take great pains to have names blend in, rather than stand out.

With an emphasis on diversity over assimilation, there’s been a new phenomenon in name changes. I guess it began in the 1960s, but it seemed to be the exception rather than the norm. Subbing, when I look at a class roster, I cringe to pronounce the unfamiliar names*. Now I just have the kids check off their own names. Sure, I don’t learn them this way, but I don’t offend anyone by mangling them either.

I know you can name your child anything as long as it doesn’t have numbers. Is this the singer Prince’s fault? He became a symbol for some years when he couldn’t get out of a record contract. Is it because of actors and actresses bestowing names like Apple and Moses on their children? (I love Gwenyth Paltrow and Chris Martin of Coldplay, so I’m not judging them too harshly.)

My children’s names are more common, but I made sure they weren’t too ordinary. For my son, I wanted something that was Hebrew, but not as ethnic as Moshe. For my daughter, it’s Italian, but it can be a nickname for a longer, Hebrew one. I love the way her first and last name sound together, and wonder if one day she’ll take on a different last name.

The biggest criteria in choosing were that my children’s names had to be too short to turn into nicknames. Throughout my life, people have tried to call me Terri at their own peril. I cringe just writing the name. When I was two-years-old, my paternal grandmother tried to call me Terri, and I testily responded, “My name is THERESA!”

I was named after my mother’s friend, which I didn’t mind, since it wasn’t as common as Jennifer. Once, I had four girls named, Jennifer on my soccer team. But it was odd that I was given an Italian name, while my sister was given an Irish one. When we’re together, we represent both halves of our ethnic identities, but apart, only one.

My name became an issue when I decided to convert to Judaism in my early 20s. Knowing that I was going from Brown to Milstein meant that it would be obvious that I wasn’t born Jewish. When I worked at a car insurance company, lawyers who called, especially Jewish ones, liked to poke fun at it. Looking at me, it’s hard to tell my ethnicity. I had considered adopting a more neutral version of my name (Tess, Terese), but I was already changing my last name, so I had to keep something of me.

When naming characters in my manuscripts, I think long and hard about it – perhaps even longer and harder than I did when naming my children. Designations of main characters are almost always meant to provide clues to character or plot. I recall seeing an interview with J.K Rowling, who said that she had a special notebook to come up with her character names**. She showed an example page, which hadn’t led to a name, but it was interesting to see her process.

My own path to name finding utilizes the Internet. I do a Google search like, “Names that mean sea”, and then I peruse the list. When I find the right one, sometimes I do a separate search to determine the last name. I might search under “Italian last names”, and then play around until I get the right match, whether it because of sound or some other larger meaning.

Your child or protagonist (which feels like a flesh and blood child) has to go through life with that name (or longer if it’s a protagonist from a best-selling book that lasts beyond your lifetime), and all the positive and negative associations it conjures. Unless you are lucky enough to name your child after a dead relative because of religious reasons or to follow some other rule (My father was the third person to have his name in the family), you have to come up with something your child can live with. Naming anyone is an important trust.


“What's in a name? That which we call a rose


By any other name would smell as sweet;"

- Juliet in play, “Romeo and Juliet” by William Shakespeare


*See previous post for more detail on students’ names:

http://theresamilstein.blogspot.com/2009/11/whats-in-name.html


** Can you imagine what those notebooks would be worth if they’re ever up for auction?

15 comments:

  1. Naming my children has been one of the great and lasting pleasures of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, though it's a bit tricky when you have to compromise with someone else. I love your name, Maggie May.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Ladasha story is so funny. I had a teacher friend who swore that he taught three children from the same family whose names were Texaco, Sunoco, and Conoco because the mother liked the way they sounded. As for nicknames, I was tagged with the nickname of "Edie" the day I was born even though it bears no relation to my true name of Eva. Now, in my old age, I have no attachment to my real name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always been fascinated with names; therefore, I absolutely adore the thought you put into this post. I believe that naming someone - be it a child, a pet, or even a stuffed animal - is one of the greatest thrills in life!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Names are tricky. Sometimes when I go in, I look at the roster and decide if the first or last names are harder to pronounce. Whichever one is easiest, I pick that one! Ha.

    My last name is Brown; it's super plain, but I really don't mind. I think I'm going to keep it when (if) I get married one day.

    But it must be nice to embrace a new name and culture all at once! Exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a follower now....thanks for this....

    Ladasha.....reminds me of twins in our school....

    Pajamas....pronounced pag a mas and

    Shithead....(I kid you not).....pronouced.....Shi the ad

    ReplyDelete
  7. Edie, those names remind me of a Saturday Night Live sketch, when teachers were calling students from the playground. I think one of the names was "Kaopectate". I like Edie - sometimes those early nicknames stick.

    Cafe Fashionista, thanks for the comment. Your comment about a stuffed animal has given me an idea for a 2nd name post!

    Tiffany, that's funny that we were born with the same last name (Two TB's)! It was so nice and simple. When I have to spell and/or pronounce Milstein, it makes me miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tracey, your'e kidding me! Now you're making me think of another Saturday Night Live skit, when a husband and wife are trying to think of children's names, but every name the woman comes up with, the man finds a way to say how the kid will be teased because of it. Turns out his last name is, "Asswipe" pronounced Ah-sweep-eh.

    Thanks for becoming a follower!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi

    It's nice when names actually have a deeper meaning, a cultural significance, a history.

    I thoroughly agree with you that naming is an important trust, so I really despair when celebs name their children Pixie or Trixiebelle Honeycombe Lily-Pad! I think nowadays celebrity names are proving really popular too.

    But I don;t think that's anything new, mind. My parents chose all their kids' names after their favourite films/songs!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Old Kitty, those names sound like they were chosen by little girls! In fact, I just read them to my daughter, who thought they sounded "cool".

    I like the idea that your parents chose names that way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was sent here by one of your readers (Tracey!)... what an interesting post! My husband works in law enforcement, and the made-up names he comes across on a daily basis (nothing quite like "La-a") just leave me in awe; why DO that to a child?

    Like you, I always went by my full name as a child. Even now, I bristle when somebody tries to call me "Liz" or "Beth". I'm glad you stuck with your given name; I think it's beautiful!

    ~Elizabeth
    Confessions From A Working Mom

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for visiting, Working Mom. If you remember any of the names that your husband has come across, feel free to share them! And thank you for the compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. La-a .... that is gold!!!

    A friend of mine told me about a student in her class named Siobhan. Lovely irish name pronounced (I'm sure you know) - Shi-vawn in the US and Shi-von in the UK/Aus. Anyway, she read out the class role and called out the students name. The student replied, "It's pronounced Sigh-oh-ban."

    I kid you not. Her parents had seen the beautiful name Siobhan and thought it was pronounced ... phonetically.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh I meant to add that La-a could also be read as Lahyphenha .... something to think about ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. @ Clutterbug, Siobhan sure got mangled there! Most books give the pronunciation. Even if those parents ignored it or didn't understand it, what would make them say "sigh oh ban" sounds so pretty?


    Lahyphena - now that's interesting!

    ReplyDelete